Saturday, May 22, 2010

Seriously?!? I'm actually thinking about it??

It's been over 4 months since Shorty passed away. And for me avoidance seems to be working well on allowing me to keep going. Sometimes sad thoughts hit but then I just stuff them down & go on. One of these days that 10 gallons of shit in a 5 gallon bucket will spill over... that will not be a fun day.

About 3 months ago - On the day before a trip PB & I couldn't afford but got guilted into going on (family wedding in Vegas - we're in MI) - I got laid off. Talk about timing! Try to have fun after that.... Ok it was my first trip to Vegas so I did have fun but the worry was still in the back of my mind.

Michigan has a program to help displaced workers (that'd be me!) get money for school/training in a high growth field, up to $5,000 for 2 years - $10,000 total. That got me thinking about what I might like to do. After thinking & debating for a while decided on Radiology Technology. Talked to the MI program about funding & started getting things together to get enrolled in college for xray tech.

After talking to my aunt today & her talking to her contacts in the hospital and that department I find out that xray techs are about a "dime a dozen" lately. So after going to school for 2 1/2 years or so, depending on how many pre-reqs I'd need, it sounds like there won't be a job available or certainly very few.

More talking to my aunt & thinking (& talking & thinking...alot) I'm thinking about possibly going to school to be a Registered Nurse. Me - a nurse. After hearing from my (the same) aunt ever since I can remember that I'd be a great nurse. Her logic for this I still don't know (may have to ask her that one!) other than she always wanted her 2 kids to be doctors, the oldest is - the younger not. Me - the person who never wanted to be a nurse, partly probably because my aunt wanted me to be (I can be stubborn to a fault sometimes).

Really?!? I'm seriously thinking about an RN??

It's still a 2 year program, again plus whatever pre-reqs. It's still at the school I was already thinking of attending. The money is better for an RN than an xray tech. I could take another year after becoming an RN to get a B.S. (Bachelor's of Science) which would then open up more opportunities & larger pay scale. Plus I could do the B.S. online. Plus if I were an RN it would open up a variety of job options other than bedside - since I'm not sure if bedside is something I'd enjoy. But who knows, after going through school for it I might actually enjoy it.....

ME - maybe an RN.... really???

2 comments:

Mia said...

I told my sister the same thing and she kept saying no, she didn't want to be a nurse. at age 39 she went to school to be a nurse. An RN. And the girl has so much overtime offers now with crazy money thrown her way.. I say if it's something ya can do and would be interested in.. there's mad money to be had and people are always gonna be sick. Lots of flexibility.

Somethin' to think about and sure are glad you're back:)

Moxie said...

Good to know!

I'll be 33 this July and it kinda scares me to go back to school after being out of it for so long & to be doing something completely different than I've ever done before.